Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Filling, adapted from The Science of Good Cooking
makes 12 cupcakes
2.5 oz milk chocolate, finely chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream
3.5 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup strong coffee, hot
3/4 cup bread flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp fine sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
6 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tsp distilled white vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Milk Chocolate Filling: In a microwave safe bowl, combine milk chocolate and cream. Microwave for 30 seconds on half power. Stir. Repeat if chocolate is not melted. Whisk until smooth. Chill in the refrigerator while you prepare cupcakes. Do not leave in fridge for more than 30 minutes.
2. Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake tin with paper liners.
3. Combine dark chocolate and cocoa powder in a large bowl. Pour hot coffee over mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for a couple minutes. Remove cover and whisk until smooth. Chill in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda.
5. Once chocolate mixture has cooled, whisk in oil, eggs, vinegar and vanilla. Fold in flour mixture. Divide batter between 12 cupcakes. Remove milk chocolate filling from fridge.
6. Add a rounded teaspoon of milk chocolate filling on top of each cupcake. Bake for 17-20 minutes until cake is set. Let cool in pan for 3-5 minutes before unmolding and allowing to cool completely on wire racks.
Whipped Dark Chocolate Ganache Frosting
5 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
3/4 cup heavy cream
1. Place chopped chocolate in a medium bowl. Heat cream until simmering. Pour cream into chocolate and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit for 3-5 minutes. Remover cover and stir until ganache is homogeneous. Cover with plastic wrap (let plastic wrap touch chocolate to prevent condensation formation). Every 30 minutes stir. Let sit until ganache is pipeable consistency.
2. Place ganache in bowl of stand mixer. Using a whisk attachment, whip on medium speed until ganache until airy and fluffy. Transfer to piping bag and decorate cooled cupcakes.