This Italian Mac and Cheese recipe uses a blend of four cheeses: parmesan, asiago, fontina, and mild provolone.
I made fried chicken the other night and succumbed to making mac and cheese as well.
This version of mac and cheese is a little different from my usual one.
Rather than the standard cheddar cheese, this recipe uses a combination of different Italian cheeses: mozzarella, parmesan, asiago, fontina, provolone, and pecorino romano.
Italy has been on my mind these days. Just 6 weeks until my big trip to Milan and Cinque Terre!
Baked Italian Macaroni and Cheese
This rich and decadent Italian mac and cheese uses a whole lot of cheese and pasta.
That’s not a problem. Freeze portions before baking and save for future use!
The wonderful thing about this recipe? You can use whatever combination of cheeses you prefer!
To add more nutrients and turn in this side dish into a full meal, try adding vegetables such as:
Be sure to cook the vegetables before adding them in.
Italian Mac and Cheese
- 16 oz gemelli macaroni, or pasta of your choice
- 4 oz pancetta, or bacon
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups mixed shredded cheese (parmesan, asiago, fontina, mild provolone)*
- 6 Tablespoons grated pecorino romano cheese
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fill a large pot with water. Salt to taste. Bring to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions. Drain pasta.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large sauce pan, add about a tablespoon of oil. When oil is warm, add pancetta. Cook until pancetta fat has been rendered and meat is browned and crisp. Remove cooked pancetta and drain over a paper towel lined plate. Leave oil and fat in sauce pan.
- Whisk together flour, milk, and cream. Add to sauce pan and let come to a boil.
- In another bowl, combine all cheeses together. Reserve ½ cup of cheese for topping, add remaining cheese to sauce pan. Stir and cook until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
- Add cooked pasta and cooked pancetta to sauce pan. Toss to coat pasta in cheese sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide pasta between serving bowls. Sprinkle reserved cheese mixture over pasta. Bake 20-25 minutes until cheese on top has melted and begins to brown. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- I used the Quattro Formaggio cheese blend from Trader Joe’s. It is a shredded blend of Parmesan, Asiago, Fontina, and Mild Provolone Cheese