Is that a scoop of mint chip ice cream? No! These mint chocolate chip cupcakes are topped with mint chip buttercream frosting.
I was first introduced to this glorious flavor sometime during elementary school. One afternoon while I accompanied my mom on her errands, she stopped at Thrifty’s and bought me a scoop of mint chocolate chip in a cone.
I loved it. See my fresh mint and chocolate chunk ice cream for the rest of the story.
Since then, it was treat I always looked forward to as a kid. And honestly, it still puts a smile on my face whenever I have a scoop of it.
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
These are my cupcake rendition of my beloved ice cream flavor: Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes! I used a quick one bowl chocolate cupcake recipe and a super simple buttercream frosting.
One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk room temp
- ¾ cup warm water
- 2 large eggs room temp
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tin with cupcake wrappers. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add buttermilk, water, eggs, oil, and vanilla to bowl. Using a spatula, stir to combine until all dry ingredients are moistened. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Fill prepared muffin ⅔ full with batter. Bake for 20-22 minutes, rotating pan midway through baking. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool on wire rack until room temperature.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter until smooth. Add sifted powdered sugar half a cup at time while machine is running on low. Add sea salt and mint extract. If a stronger mint flavor is desired, continue to add mint extract 1/4 tsp at a time until desired flavor is achieved.
- Add green food gel color until desired color is achieved. Fold in chopped chocolate chips. If frosting is too thick, add cream ½ Tbsp at a time.