Is that a scoop of mint chip ice cream? No! These mint chocolate chip cupcake are topped with mint chip frosting.
My brother and I didn’t get along very well growing up. Maybe we were too close in age? Maybe all brothers and sisters are bound to quarrel and bicker?
But one thing for sure we never argued over was ice cream. He was (and still is) fond of fruity flavors– strawberry sorbet and rainbow sherbet. While my taste buds were more partial to the heavy-calorie laden flavors: butter pecan, cookies and cream, and my most favorite of favorites- mint chocolate chip ice cream.
I was first introduced to this glorious flavor sometime during elementary school. One afternoon while I accompanied my mom on her errands, she stopped at Thrifty’s and bought me a scoop of mint chocolate chip in a cone. And I loved it. (See my fresh mint and chocolate chunk ice cream for the rest of the story.)
Since then, it was treat I always looked forward to as a kid. And honestly, it still puts a smile on my face whenever I have a scoop of it.
These are my cupcake rendition of my beloved ice cream flavor: Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes! I used a quick one bowl chocolate cupcake recipe and a super simple buttercream frosting.
I would offer my brother a cupcake, but I know him too well. Good thing me and brother aren’t kids anymore. We hardly ever argue. Maybe its the distance? Maybe its the age? Whatever it is, I’m happy and thankful we’re now friends.
One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk room temp
- ¾ cup warm water
- 2 large eggs room temp
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tin with cupcake wrappers. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add buttermilk, water, eggs, oil, and vanilla to bowl. Using a spatula, stir to combine until all dry ingredients are moistened. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Fill prepared muffin ⅔ full with batter. Bake for 20-22 minutes, rotating pan midway through baking. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool on wire rack until room temperature.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter until smooth. Add sifted powdered sugar half a cup at time while machine is running on low. Add sea salt and mint extract. If a stronger mint flavor is desired, continue to add mint extract 1/4 tsp at a time until desired flavor is achieved.
- Add green food gel color until desired color is achieved. Fold in chopped chocolate chips. If frosting is too thick, add cream ½ Tbsp at a time.