My all time favorite cocktail is the old fashioned. It’s the very first cocktail recipe I shared on my blog. Although it’s a simple drink, when prepared correctly it’s magical.
There’s something about the play of orange and bourbon that just works together. During the holidays, I created cranberry orange bourbon concoction. It was such a hit with friends, that I figured a Valentine’s Day version would be very much welcomed. Taking advantage of the citrus season, I knew blood oranges would provide the perfect je ne sais quoi.
Alex and I are always on the hunt for bourbons to try. Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon is our newest venture. It smells very sweet and oaky. It’s mellow enough to drink neat, yet strong enough to be used in a mixed drink.
This blood orange bourbon cocktail is similar to a whiskey sour. The combination of citrus juices (orange and lime) and ginger syrup creates a fresh and vibrant sour mix that’s better than any of those pre-made, bottled stuff you find at the liquor store. And to ensure that this cocktail stayed a striking red hue, I muddled in fresh raspberries. Not only is this cocktail quite the eye-catcher, it’s light and refreshing. It makes me excited for spring and look forward to summer!
Blood Orange Bourbon Cocktail
- 4 fresh raspberries
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons blood orange juice
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons ginger syrup (recipe follows)
- 4 Tablespoons bourbon
- 2 Tablespoons sparkling water (club soda)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 inches ginger, peeled, sliced into disks
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle together raspberries, lime juice, orange juice and ginger syrup. Add bourbon. Stir to combine. Strain into a glass with ice. Top with sparking soda. Garnish with fresh raspberries and a blood orange slice.
- Ginger Syrup: Combine water, sugar, and ginger in a small sauce pot. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Strain out ginger and store ginger syrup in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
Disclosure: Four Roses Bourbon provided me with products to create this recipe.