Autumn Butternut Squash Salad
Yield: serves 2-3 as a entree
- 12 oz (about 4 cups) butternut squash, cut into bite sized chunks
- 4 handfuls spinach
- 3 endives, chopped, about 2 cups
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted, roughly chopped
- shaved parmesan cheese, as needed for garnish
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons agave syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- juice of half lemon, about 1 Tablespoon
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Place cut butternut squash on bakings sheet. Drizzle about 2 Tbsp of olive oil over squash, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine and coat.
Bake for 20-25 minutes. Midway through baking toss squash to ensure even roasting. Once cooked, let cool slightly as you prepare remaining ingredients.
In a large bowl, combine spinach, chopped endives, half of dried cranberries and half of pecans. Add cooked butternut squash. Add about 3 Tbsp of balsamic vinaigrette. Toss to combine. Sample and add more vinaigrette according to taste. Before serving, add remaining cranberries and pecans. Garnish with shaved parmesan cheese and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.