Spiked Apple Cider
Spiked apple cider is a warming beverage perfect during the cool holiday season! Easily customize it with your choice of spices and liquor. Yield: 8 ¾ cups ( 70 oz)
Servings: 14 five ounce pours
- 8 cups (1/2 gallon, 64 oz) apple cider, or unfiltered apple juice*
- 1/2 orange, cut into slices
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 Tbsp cloves
- 1 Tbsp all spice berries
- 2 whole star anise
- 6 Tbsp dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 3/4 cup (14 oz) spiced rum, or dark liquor of choice*
- 4 oz mulled apple cider
- 1 oz spiced rum
In a large pot, combine apple cider, orange slices, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, allspice berries, and star anise. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and partially cover pot. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Remove from heat and add brown sugar. Stir to combine. Keep pot covered and steep spices for another 30 minutes. Strain and discard spices.
Bring mixture back to simmer. *If making a large batch, pour in rum.*If making a single serving, portion out 4 to 8 oz of mulled apple cider and add 1 oz rum.Serve warm. Garnish with orange slices, cinnamon stick, or desired spices.
- Apple cider refers to unfiltered apple juice. This apple juice is cloudier and thicker than standard apple juice. Apple cider should only have one ingredient- APPLES!
- Don't confuse apple cider for hard cider or sparkling apple cider. Those are completely different products.
- I recommend spiced rum. Other options include: dark rum or aged rum, brandy, whiskey or bourbon.
- You may also add a touch of flavored liqueur such as Calvados, Tuaca, Cointreau, or Amaretto. I suggest adding 1/2 oz of flavored liqueur per serving.
- Mulled apple cider will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for 5 days. The liquor may be added immediately after cooking the cider. Or, it can be added later just before serving.