These espresso cream cheese brownies are your traditional fudge brownies made special with the addition of chocolate chips and a delightful espresso cream cheese swirl topping.
We’re not even finished with October and I am already exhausted. Halloween plans, Thanksgiving menu prep, scheduling all things Christmas and holiday related.
While I’m super excited for all these festivities and merriment to come, I am going to need frequent naps from now until the end of the year. Naps, or a continuous supply of coffee and chocolate.
That’s where these brownies come into play.
How to make boxed brownie mix better
During this time of the year when everyone has a million plus things to do, don’t pack on more stress by making lofty and elaborate desserts. These brownies are super quick and easy to make.
I’m all for making desserts from scratch, but every now and again, I use box mix brownies.
Obviously, these espresso cream cheese brownies are not your ordinary straight out of the box brownies. You can totally elevate the standard box mix Sandra Lee semi-homemade style.
Upgrade your favorite brownie mix
I used my favorite kind of brownie mix (fudge brownies!) and added dark chocolate chip to the batter and an alluring and enticing espresso cream cheese swirl on top.
The added espresso swirl takes these brownies from standard to one of a kind. Share a batch of these with friends/family/neighbors/etc. No one will believe they’re part box mix.
They’re the perfect afternoon pick-me-up. I intentionally like to cut small servings so I can savor each bite without worrying about eating the entire pan (by accident).
Interested in more brownies? Here are some favorites:
- Almond Joy Brownies takes the components of the classic candy bar and transforms them into these rich coconut chocolate treats!
- Triple Chocolate Brownies are made with unsweetened chocolate, dark chocolate, and white chocolate.
- Marshmallows, nuts, and chocolate chunks are mixed into these Skillet Rocky Road Brownies.
Espresso Cream Cheese Brownies
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1- 18.3 oz package fudge brownie mix
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, or roughly chopped chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 9x13-inch or 8x8-inch baking pan with foil, allowing for an overhang along the edges of the pan. Lightly coat foil with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat together cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add in flour, egg yolk, espresso powder, and vanilla. Mix until well incorporated.
- In a large bowl, prepare fudge brownie mix according to package instructions. Fold chocolate chips into brown batter.
- Spread about 2/3 of brownie batter into an even layer in prepared baking pan. Distribute dollops of cream cheese mixture on top. Follow with dollops of remaining brownie batter. Use a knife or mini offset spatula to swirl cream cheese mixture and brownie batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until center of brownies is set and no longer jiggles. Cool brownies to room temperature in pan. Cover pan and chill brownies in the fridge until cold. Use the foil overhang to lift brownies out of the pan. Slice into desired portions. Keep chilled until ready to serve.
- These brownies should be kept in the fridge due to the cream cheese. Store in an airtight container. Will keep in fridge for up to 5 days.