Tart Cherries and Toasted Almonds Scones
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small cubes, cold
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, cold
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries, chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds, or nuts of your choice
- turbinado sugar, to top
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line sheet tray with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut butter into dry mixture using a pastry blender, fork, or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add cream. Fold until almost combined. Add oats, cherries, and nuts. Fold until incorporated and all the dry has been hydrated.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Pat into a circle about 1 inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut circle into 8 equal slices.
- To make the egg wash, whisk together the egg, salt, water, and heavy cream.
- Transfer to prepared sheet tray. Brush each scone with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown. Let cool on sheet tray for at least 5 minutes. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.