Biscuits made without butter! These cheddar cheese cream biscuits are made similar to scones. Heavy cream is used in place of butter.
Want delicious cheesy biscuits in a flash?
With a handful of kitchen staples and about half an hour, you can have fresh from the oven, scrumptiously delicious cheese cream biscuits!
Unlike the traditional biscuits that cut in butter (or shortening or lard), these special biscuits are made entirely with cream.
It is similar to the method for making scones, yet these biscuits have nice layers that rise up like butter biscuits.
No need for a fancy mixer or a food processor to make this dough. You don’t even need a biscuit cutter. A glass or mug can easily punch out the rounds.
This recipes requires little to no prep. No need to bring ingredients to room temperature!
Simply whip out the ingredients and start mixing. Basic cream biscuits are made with flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and heavy cream.
Easily customize these cream biscuits to your liking. The recipe calls for shredded cheddar cheese. However, feel free to swap in your favorite cheese.
This works best with meltable cheeses like Colby, Havarti, Fontina, or Monterey Jack.
Quickly Mix Biscuits By Hand
- Whisk together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cheese.
- Stir in heavy cream with a wooden spoon or a sturdy spatula.
- Mix until the dough JUST comes together. DO NOT OVERMIX.
Gently knead together dough until almost smooth. Pat dough to a thickness of about 3/4-inches.
Punch out rounds with a 2 1/2 inch round cutter.
Or better yet, just cut the biscuits into squares with a knife. Who said biscuits need to be round, anyways?
Brush biscuit tops with heavy cream. Sprinkle addition cheese on top, for more cheesy goodness!
These biscuits are best eaten fresh from the oven, while its still warm and the cheese is still gooey.
If the biscuits do get a little cold, just pop them in the microwave for a 10-15 seconds to restore it back to its former glory.
These cheddar cheese cream biscuits can be devoured all by themselves or enjoyed with ham, bacon, and eggs.
It is delicious for breakfast, as an accompaniment to a salad lunch or a starter for a nice sit down dinner. It is sure to hit the spot and satisfy your salty and savory cravings.
Cheddar Cheese Cream Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line sheet tray with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cheese. Add cream and stir with a wooden spoon until dough just comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured counter top. Knead dough together by hand until smooth. Pat dough into a ¾-inch thick circle.
- Punch out dough rounds with a 2 ½ inch cutter. Push together remaining scraps of dough and pat until ¾-inch thick. Punch out as many rounds. Discard remaining scraps. *If you try to push scraps together again, they will not bake up as high and even as the other biscuits.
- Place biscuits on prepared sheet tray. Brush biscuit tops with heavy cream. Sprinkle more cheddar cheese on top, if desired. Bake for 20-22 minutes, rotating halfway, until biscuits are golden brown. Serve immediately.