Bundt. I think that’s such a funny word. I smile a little bit every time I hear bundt cake. Maybe its because of the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding. There is this part when the groom’s parents bring the bride’s family a bundt cake.
The bride’s Greek mother doesn’t know why there is a hole in the middle of the cake. Before serving the cake she places a potted plant in the hole. I thought it was hilarious. But then again, I’m a sucker for romantic comedies so I enjoyed the entire movie.
This is unlike the traditional bundt cake from the movie. This is a tropical inspired bundt cake to celebrate the first day of summer!
The cake is made with extra virgin olive oil instead of butter. To lighten up the flavors, the cake is packed full of zucchinis, shredded coconut, and toasted walnuts. Its an extremely moist cake topped with a delicate and crunchy lime glaze. Its quite possibly my favorite bundt cake.
I was a little hesitant to use olive oil in a cake. I’m afraid that the taste would be too strong and overpower the rest of the ingredients. When I sampled the raw batter, the olive oil was so assertive. However, after baking, it did mellow out a great deal and rather complemented the sweet coconut.
Speaking of My Big Fat Greek Wedding and olive oil, I’m super excited to tell you that I’ll be going to Greece and Italy next month for my birthday!
Zucchini Coconut Cake
- 1 cup walnuts, lightly toasted, chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 large eggs, room temp
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla paste or pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 ½ cup zucchini, shredded, squeezed of excess moisture
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease bundt cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together sugars and olive oil. Add eggs one at a time until incorporated. Add vanilla paste and mix until smooth.
- Add flour mixture. Mix on low until almost combined. Add walnuts, coconut and zucchini. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared bundt pan. Make sure batter is level. Bake for 45-50 minutes until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Then, invert and cool cake to room temperature.
- Whisk together all the ingredients. Pour glaze over cooled cake.