It is not my alarm clock that wakes me up in the morning. It’s usually my empty stomach telling my brain to wake up because I’m hungry.
During busy weekday mornings, I don’t like to fuss too much in the kitchen creating something elaborate or time-consuming. I want something handheld that I can eat while I watch the morning news before I head out.
Avocado garlic toast is one of my favorite snacks/meals/foods. It is so simple yet so tasty and satisfying. You simply take a piece of toast, rub some fresh garlic on it, and top it with lightly smashed avocado. I like to sprinkle a some red pepper flakes on top for a little heat. To amp up the garlic flavor, I used a roasted garlic loaf. Any crusty bread will do, even crackers work in a pinch. Just be sure to brush your teeth after eating this, unless you want to taste garlic all day.
You can call this toast in the morning, a tartine (open face sandwich) for lunch, or a crostini to accompany your evening drinks. It can be whatever you want it to be.
Simple things like this make me and my tummy happy.
Garlic Avocado Toast
- crusty bread of your choice, sliced and lightly toasted (I used a roasted garlic loaf from La Brea Bakery)
- garlic clove, halved
- ripe avocado, halved, pitted, and cut into small cubes
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- red pepper flakes
- Rub garlic clove all over toasted bread.
- In a small bowl, lightly mash avocado with a fork. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spoon avocado onto toast. Sprinkle red pepper flakes on top.
The Little Epicurean