These cardamom pumpkin rolls are a wonderful way to usher in autumn flavors!
Over the weekend, I finally finished watching the last season of Downton Abbey. I’m a bit sad that the show is over. I really enjoyed peeking into the lives of the Crawley family. As with every season, the last episode took place around Christmas/New Year’s. It got me very excited for the upcoming holiday season. Even though I think it’s still a bit early to be introducing all things pumpkin in our diets, here I am sharing these cardamon pumpkin rolls.
(Yesterday we got a taste of taste of autumn in Los Angeles. It was chilly enough to wear pants and a jacket. That’s definitely a reason to celebrate with pumpkin!)
These cardamom pumpkin rolls start off like any standard cinnamon roll dough recipe. This only difference is the addition of pumpkin puree in the dough. While the pumpkin flavor isn’t very prominent in the dough, the puree does add a wonderful soft and fluffy texture to the baked dough. To up the pumpkin flavor, the filling is made with pumpkin puree, sugar, ground cardamom, and a tiny touch of ground cinnamon.
I can’t exaggerate enough how soft and pillowy these cardamom pumpkin rolls are. I can’t wait to experiment with other purees in other bread recipes. I’m thinking sweet potato rolls, potato dinner rolls, taro buns…
Cardamom Pumpkin Rolls
Yield: 12 rolls
- 1/2 cup warm water, about 110 degrees F
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 4 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons, room temperature
Pumpkin Cardamom Filling:
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp canned pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Cardamom Cream Cheese:
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch fine sea salt
- DOUGH: Sprinkle yeast over warm water. Add teaspoon of sugar and stir to combine. Let sit for 5-7 minutes to allow mixture to bubble and activate.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together yeast mixture, milk, brown sugar, egg, egg yolk, and pumpkin puree. Whisk salt in flour. Add 2 cups of flour to mixing bowl. Use the dough hook attachment to mix together. Add another cup of flour. Continue to knead on low speed until adding softened butter one tablespoon at a time. Add remaining flour and knead until dough is smooth and cleans the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for about an hour until dough has doubled in volume.
- Punch dough risen dough. Transfer to a clean working surface. Roll dough into a 20 x 14-inch rectangle.
- FILLING: In a small bowl, mix together softened butter and pumpkin puree. In another small bowl, whisk together sugar, cardamom, and cinnamon. Spread butter mixture over dough. Sprinkle spiced sugar mixture on top.
- Starting at the long side, roll dough into a log. Slice log into 12 equal parts. Place rolls in a greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan (quarter sheet pan size). Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 30-45 minutes at room temperature to allow rolls to rise.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap and bake rolls for 30-35 minutes until golden brown on top and the internal temperature of the rolls reach 185 degrees F. Allow rolls to rest for 5-7 minutes to cool slightly before frosting.
- CREAM CHEESE: Beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar, cardamom, cinnamon, and salt. Beat until smooth. Spread over warm rolls.
REHEATING NOTES: To keep the rolls moist, place a glass of water in the microwave along with the bread roll. Microwave for 30 seconds, or until bread is warm. The glass of water helps prevent the bread from drying out.
The Little Epicurean