Usher in autumn flavors with cardamom pumpkin rolls. These rolls are super soft and fluffy thanks to the pumpkin puree in the dough.
It got me very excited for the upcoming holiday season. Even though I think it’s still a bit early to be introducing all things pumpkin in our diets, here I am sharing these cardamon pumpkin rolls.
(Yesterday we got a taste of taste of autumn in Los Angeles. It was chilly enough to wear pants and a jacket. That’s definitely a reason to celebrate with pumpkin!)
Spiced Pumpkin Rolls
These cardamom pumpkin rolls start off like any standard cinnamon roll dough recipe. This only difference is the addition of pumpkin puree in the dough.
While the pumpkin flavor isn’t very prominent in the dough, the puree does add a wonderful soft and fluffy texture to the finished product.
The filling is a mixture of pumpkin puree, sugar, cardamom, and cinnamon. It provides the perfect amount of pumpkin flavor.
Cardamom Cream Cheese Frosting
Cardamom is an aromatic seed from the ginger family native to India. It is grown throughout tropical areas of Asia, South America, and the South Pacific Islands.
Cardamom has a very distinct aroma with a sweet yet spicy flavor. It is extensively used in Indian and Scandinavian cuisine.
A combination of ground cardamom and ground cinnamon spices the luscious cream cheese and butter mixture. The addition of cinnamon helps to add sweetness and lighten the spicy notes of cardamom.
Soft Pillowy Bread Rolls
I can’t exaggerate enough how soft and pillowy these cardamom pumpkin rolls are.
I can’t wait to experiment with other purees in other bread recipes. I’m thinking sweet potato rolls, potato dinner rolls, taro buns…
Cardamom Pumpkin Rolls
- ½ cup warm water, about 110 degrees F
- 2 ¼ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup whole milk, room temperature
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- ½ cup canned pumpkin puree
- 4 ½ cups + 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons, room temperature
Pumpkin Cardamom Filling:
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoons canned pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cardamom Cream Cheese:
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch fine sea salt
- DOUGH: Sprinkle yeast over warm water. Add teaspoon of sugar and stir to combine. Let sit for 5-7 minutes to allow mixture to bubble and activate.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together yeast mixture, milk, brown sugar, egg, egg yolk, and pumpkin puree. Whisk salt in flour. Add 2 cups of flour to mixing bowl. Use the dough hook attachment to mix together. Add another cup of flour. Continue to knead on low speed until adding softened butter one tablespoon at a time. Add remaining flour and knead until dough is smooth and cleans the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for about an hour until dough has doubled in volume.
- Punch dough risen dough. Transfer to a clean working surface. Roll dough into a 20 x 14-inch rectangle.
- FILLING: In a small bowl, mix together softened butter and pumpkin puree. In another small bowl, whisk together sugar, cardamom, and cinnamon. Spread butter mixture over dough. Sprinkle spiced sugar mixture on top.
- Starting at the long side, roll dough into a log. Slice log into 12 equal parts. Place rolls in a greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan (quarter sheet pan size). Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 30-45 minutes at room temperature to allow rolls to rise.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove plastic wrap and bake rolls for 30-35 minutes until golden brown on top and the internal temperature of the rolls reach 185°F. Allow rolls to rest for 5-7 minutes to cool slightly before frosting.
- CREAM CHEESE: Beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar, cardamom, cinnamon, and salt. Beat until smooth. Spread over warm rolls.