Last week it was chilly and cool. I loved it. I was able to wear a beanie, wrap a scarf around my neck, and even make myself a cup of hot chocolate. And then, today happened. 80 degrees in the middle of December. I got dressed and ready to head out, only to return to my closet and change into shorts and a t-shirt. Oh, California.
Christmas is a week away and all of a sudden I am pining for summer. No matter how much I love winter, I miss long days and late sunsets. I get a little sad when I look out the window at 5pm only to see darkness.
Anyway, all this summer talk got me thinking S’MORES!
No campfire s’mores. And none of those cheater’s s’mores made over the kitchen stove. I’m making s’mores FUDGE bars! My boyfriend loves, loves, loves fudge. I’m more of a chocolate bar person, but I’m learning to like it. However, when you add fudge to the components of a s’more, I’m quite interested.
Buttery and crumbly graham cracker base. Rich and creamy chocolate fudge. Ooey,gooey toasted marshmallows. Yes to all of the above.
I’ve been testing out chocolate desserts to bring to my family’s Christmas party this weekend. I think I found a winner with this one. These are sure to delight all the kids (as well as the adults). I thought about spiking the chocolate with a splash of whiskey or rum for the grown-ups. Because, honestly, it’s a not a holiday party without a little liquor.
I’ll be making plenty of these during the summer months– especially because it is a quick, easy, no-bake dessert! It can be stored in the fridge or kept at room temperature (read: perfect party and picnic food!).
S'mores Fudge Bars
- 1 1/2 cups ground Graham crackers
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups chopped dark chocolate (about 11 oz)
- 1- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups marshmallows
- Line a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper. Lightly grease with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl,combine ground graham crackers, sugar, and salt. Add melted butter and fold together until mixture is moistened. Transfer mixture to prepared square pan. Press into an even layer. Keep chilled in the fridge while you melt chocolate.
- Melt together chopped chocolate and sweetened condensed milk in a medium metal or glass bowl over a small pot filled with an inch of barely simmering water. Stir together until chocolate is melted. Be careful not to overheat the chocolate.
- Once chocolate has melted, remove from heat and pour chocolate over graham cracker crust. Sprinkle 2 cups of small marshmallows over chocolate. Press to ensure marshmallows adhere to chocolate. Place in fridge for at least 20 minutes for chocolate fudge to set.
- Remove from pan. Cut into desired portions. Use a kitchen torch to toast the marshmallows.
Don’t forget to enter my bread baker’s gift set giveaway!!