There are a couple of things that can always make me happy. Mint chocolate chip ice cream happens to be one of them.
I can still remember my first introduction to mint n’ chip from Thrifty Ice Cream. It was amazing. I was mesmerized by the alluring pastel green color.
I was in awe of the amount of chocolate pieces that was in every lick. Needless to say, I fell in love and it has been my favorite ever since.
Mint Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
This is a delicious, no-fuss, super simple ice cream recipe.
I steeped spearmint leaves in the milk and cream mixture to get a natural mint flavor. I would have preferred to use peppermint, but I couldn’t find any at the store.
You can easily substitute a couple drops of peppermint oil to get the same flavor. Using this same steeping method, you can infuse just about any flavor into your ice cream.
Eggless Ice Cream Base
This is the perfect introductory recipe for those new to ice cream making. It’s an eggless ice cream base that simply uses milk, cream, and sugar.
No need to temper egg yolks into the base! However, since it not a custard based ice cream, the recipe does require quite a bit of heavy cream.
The fat from the heavy cream will ensure the resulting ice cream is rich and smooth!
Fresh Mint and Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 25-30 fresh mint leaves, chopped or torn
- 3/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- In a medium pot, dissolve sugar in cream and milk over medium heat. Continue to heat until almost to a boil. Keep an eye on the mixture, stirring often to make sure milk does not scald.
- Remove from heat and add chopped mint leaves. Cover pot with plastic wrap and let mint steep for 5 minutes. Taste after 5 minutes. If more mint taste is desired, continue to steep.
- Transfer to an airtight container and let chill in fridge for a couple hours.
- Once mixture is cold, freeze mixture in ice cream maker according to your unit’s instructions. Once the volume has increased by 1/2 to 3/4 times, and reached a soft serve consistency, add in chocolate chunks. Continue to mix until chocolate is evenly distributed. Transfer mixture into an airtight container and let rest in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before serving.