Quick and easy homemade green pea soup recipe. By using frozen peas, this recipe can made anytime of the year!
It took me 27 years to have my first bowl of green pea soup! Growing up, I had a major aversion to the tiny green vegetables.
It was mushy, it rolled around my plate, and I thought it tasted like chalk. Even now, sometimes by habit I pick out the green peas from chicken pot pie.
Since then, I have grown to love peas (and all vegetables for that matter).
Easy Homemade Green Pea Soup
This easy recipe only requires a handful of ingredients. Certain ingredients can be substituted with other items you may have on hand.
As long as you have frozen green peas, broth, and one potato- you’re set to go!
- Vegetable Broth: reduced sodium vegetable broth, chicken broth, reduced sodium chicken broth, or bone broth of any sort.
- Leeks: Leeks work best, but you may also try shallots, sweet onions, or green onions (scallions).
- Fresh Lemon Thyme: fresh thyme, or a combination of 1 part finely grated lemon zest and 3 parts fresh thyme, or half the amount of dried thyme
The additional of lemon thyme does wonders to the soup. It brings a nice kick and brightness to the earthy peas.
The soup is delicious warm or chilled making it perfect for unpredictable spring weather.
Serve the soup alone or with a tasty grilled ham and cheese panini. Pair it with a nice salad or enjoy with a white wine.
Green Pea Soup
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium leek whites and light green parts only, halved and sliced thin
- 1 large Russet potato peeled, cut into small cubes
- 16 oz frozen green peas
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 sprigs fresh lemon thyme tied in a bundle
- ⅓ cup sour cream plus more for serving
- additional lemon thyme for serving
- Heat large heavy bottomed stockpot. Add oil. Once oil is warm, add garlic and onions. Cook over medium-high heat for 30-45 seconds until garlic is fragrant. Add leeks and cook until leeks and onions have softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add potatoes and peas. Cook for about 2 minutes until frozen peas start to defrost. Add vegetable stock and lemon thyme bundle. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes until potatoes can be easily smashed with a fork. Remove from heat and let cool for 10-15 minutes. Remove lemon thyme bundle.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender, or transfer soup in batches to a blender. Blend soup until smooth. Stir in sour cream and season with salt and pepper. Serve soup warm or chilled with additional sour cream and fresh lemon thyme leaves.