I love hot dogs. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner. If you wanna grab a hot dog, I’m pretty likely to comply. Dodgers Dogs, Hot Dog on Stick, Dirty Dogs (bacon wrapped hot dogs sold in the streets of Downtown LA after bars and clubs have closed), you name it…I’ve tried it. While I’m partial to the plain ol’ hot dog (or corn dog), I love trying out all the new gourmet-ish hot dogs places popping up all over California.
Luckily, my favorite hot dog joint is only 2 miles away from me. If you ever find yourself in Pasadena, you have to go to Dog Haus and order the Sooo Cali Hot Dog.
Maybe it’s the King’s Hawaiian Roll bun or the unique toppings that keeps me coming back to Dog Haus. But one thing’s for sure, Dog Haus knows how to elevate the hot dog.
The Sooo Cali Hot Dog is my go-to order. This hot dog includes sliced avocado, arugula, diced tomatoes, and crispy onion bits all stuffed into a toasted Hawaiian Roll bun and drizzled with a basil aioli. What makes it sooo California? It seems like anything with avocados is called California these days.
I made this for my family for the 4th of July. Alex grilled the hot dogs, while I set up a toppings station. I let everyone stack their own Sooo Cali Hot Dog. Why? Because I think it’s more fun to make your own food. Plus a toppings station allows everyone to customize their order. Add more avocado, skip the tomatoes, or add different toppings.
- Place hot dog in toasted Hawaiian Roll bun.
- On one side of the hot dog, place avocado slices. On the other side, add arugula leaves. Top the hot dog with sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Drizzle a generous portion of pesto mayo on top and sprinkle crispy onions to finish. Serve and enjoy immediately!
Dog Haus "Sooo Cali" Hot Dog Copycat Recipe
- 12 oz package King's Hawaiian Rolls or package of King's Hawaiian Hot Dog Buns
- 6 hot dogs of choice
- 2 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 avocado pitted and sliced
- 1 ½ cup arugula
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes halved
- 6 oz package French's French Fried Onions as needed
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp basil pesto store-bought or homemade
- If using rolls, tear bread into segments of 2 or 3 rolls depending on the length of your hot dog. Slice bread rolls ⅔'s through to create a divot for the hot dog. Lightly brush bread with melted butter. Place in broiler for a couple seconds or let toast on the grill.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Place hot dogs on grill. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until heated through.
- While the hot dogs are heating up, prepare toppings.
- To make pesto mayo, combine mayonnaise and basil pesto in a small bowl. Stir until pesto is evenly distributed. Transfer to a squeeze bottle for easy serving.
- To serve, place heated hot dog on toasted bread bun. Place sliced avocado on one side of the hot dog. Place arugula on the other side. Add sliced tomatoes on top of hot dog. Drizzle pesto mayo over all the ingredients. Over the mayo, sprinkle fried onions. Enjoy immediately.
*Note: Dog Haus serves the Sooo Cali with diced tomatoes and basil aioli. I substituted with cherry tomatoes and pesto mayo.