Soft, pillow-like bread, ooey-gooey cheese, a jalapeño kick and a juicy all beef hot dog.
Once a week, I have the exciting task of cleaning out the fridge. (Not my favorite thing.) During this time, I take out everything that has been forgotten and pushed aside, and I place it on the kitchen island. I look at the mishmash of ingredients and pretend I’m on Chopped. (No, seriously. I give myself a time-limit to figure out what to do with the ingredients.)
During this particular afternoon, I found leftover hot dogs, a couple jalapeños, half a block of cheddar cheese, a bag of arugula, and an almost empty jar of almond butter. I put the arugula and almond butter back in the fridge, and then the brain started churning.
Jalapeno cheddar hot dog buns!
Inspired by my favorite green onion-hot dog buns from the Asian bakeries, I set out to make a fluffy and soft bread. This bread recipe is super easy and fast to make. Unlike most breads that require multiple rising and resting times, this one takes a 30 minute time out and that’s it. Make the dough, let it rest, and then roll up the hot dogs. Simple, easy, quick.
Once dough is ready, divide it into 6 equal parts. Keep dough covered with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out while you assembly the hot dogs buns one a time.
- Roll dough out to about 12-inches in length. Place 3-4 jalapeño slices on dough and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
- Place hot dog at the bottom end of the dough and roll up. Pinch the end seams closed.
- Arrange hot dog buns on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place 3 jalapeño slices on top of bun and sprinkle with cheese. You will add additional jalapeño slices once the bread has expanded in the oven, providing more surface area.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and lightly brush with egg wash. Add additional jalapeño slices and shredded cheese. Bake for another 15 minutes until bread is golden brown and cheese has melted. Serve warm and enjoy immediately!
Jalapeño Cheddar Hot Dog Buns
Inspired by my favorite green onion hot dog bread found at Asian bakeries, I set out to make a fluffy and soft bread with a ton of cheese and a kick of spice. These jalapeno cheddar hot dog buns are best eaten warm, fresh from the oven, but they also reheat very well!
Yield: makes 6 buns
Prep Time:45 minutes
Cook Time:30 minutes
Total Time:1 hour 15 minutes
- 3/4 cup warm water, 95- 110 degrees F
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp dry active yeast
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 hot dogs (Applegate Organic Beef Hot Dogs are my favorite)
- 1 3/4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 jalapeños, thinly sliced
- 1 large egg, beaten (egg wash)
- In a bowl, whisk together warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let sit for 5-10 minutes until mixture starts to foam.
- In the bowl of stand mixer fitted with hook attachment, combine flour and salt. Add yeast mixture and mix on low speed. Once dough starts to come together add cheese and olive oil. Increase speed to medium and knead until dough is smooth.
- Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 30 minutes. If you are not going to use dough immediately, place dough in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Divide dough into 6 equal parts. Cover dough with plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out as you assemble the hot dog buns one at a time.
- Take one portion of dough and roll it out into a long piece about 12-inches in length. Place 3-4 jalapeño slices on dough and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Place hot dog at the bottom end of the dough and roll up. Pinch the end seams closed. Repeat with remaining hot dogs.
- Arrange hot dog buns on prepared baking sheet. Add 3 slices of jalapeño on top of bun and sprinkle with cheese. Place in the oven for 15 minutes. At this point, the bread will expand and the displace the jalapeño. Remove from oven and lightly brush bun with egg wash. Add additional jalapeño slices and shredded cheese. Bake for another 15 minutes until bread is golden brown and cheese has melted.
- Serve warm and enjoy immediately.*
*Note: Keep leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container. To reheat, place hot dog bun on a microwave safe plate. Plate a cup of water in the microwave along with the hot dog. Heat for 45 seconds or longer, until the hot dog is warm. The cup of water prevents the bread from getting tough and chewy during reheating.
The Little Epicurean