Chocolate and peanut butter are a winning combination. These chocolate peanut butter cookies are easy to make and such a crowd pleaser!
If the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, you need to a bring a dozen of these cookies when you meet your potential boyfriend.
That’s how I got my boyfriend (now husband) to fall in love with me.
I bought a dozen of these cookies on our flight from Northern California to Los Angeles during Thanksgiving break.
The fine print: he must like cookies, peanut butter, chocolate, and baked goods.
Although I can’t make any guarantees, if said potential boyfriend doesn’t like your homemade, freshly baked cookies- he’s not worth your time.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
One word to describe these cookies: decadent!
It’s a soft chocolate peanut butter sugar cookie with a mini chocolate covered peanut butter cup.
These cookies are soft on the inside and just a tad bit crackly and crunchy on the outside.
When you eat them straight from the oven (which is the BEST way to eat cookies), they are heavenly.
Think about it: warm cookie with almost melted peanut butter encased in silky milk chocolate with a little sprinkle of Maldon sea salt.
Yup. I’d definitely fall in love because of these cookies!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Peanut butter cup cookies are traditionally made with standard smooth peanut butter.
This version amps up the chocolate flavor using Peanut Butter & Co.’s chocolate peanut butter (named Dark Chocolatey Dreams).
If you cannot find chocolate peanut butter, standard creamy peanut butter will also work.
Be sure to use a homogenized peanut butter. Meaning one that contains stabilizer oils to prevent the peanut butter from separating.
Recommended peanut butters include: Skippy Creamy, Creamy Reese’s, or Simply Jif Creamy.
Natural peanut butters (the ones simply made with peanuts and salt) require stirring before use. Unfortunately, natural peanut butters do not work well for this recipe.
Add one tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder to the flour mixture when mixing ingredients. This will amp up the chocolate flavors.
More Chocolate Peanut Butter Recipes
Satisfy your sweet tooth with these popular treats:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cake Doughnuts with Chocolate Glaze
- Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Crinkle Cookies
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- ¼ cup chocolate peanut butter*, such as Peanut Butter & Co's Dark Chocolatey Dreams
- 2 Tablespoon unsalted butter, room temp
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar, for rolling
- 12 mini chocolate peanut butter cups
- Maldon sea salt, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Place unwrapped mini peanut butter cups in the freezer.
- In a medium bowl, cream together chocolate peanut butter and unsalted butter. Add sugar and beat until combined. Add egg and stir until incorporated. Scrape down bowl as needed to ensure thorough mixing.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture. Fold until incorporated and there are no longer and dry streaks of flour.
- Portion dough into tablespoons and roll into balls. Coat dough balls in granulated sugar and place on prepared baking sheet, placing balls about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 6 minutes. Remove from oven and press one chilled mini peanut butter cup in the center of each cookie. Return to oven and bake for another 6 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle each cookie with Maldon sea salt. Let cool on sheet tray for 5-8 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- If you can’t find chocolate peanut butter: add one tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder to the flour mixture in Step 3.
- Use a homogenized, no-stir peanut butter. Natural peanut butters that require stirring before use do not work well for this recipe.