Sweet, crunchy, chewy, and so satisfying. These Biscoff rice krispies elevates the classic rice krispie square!
Super simple no bake dessert that anyone can make.
Easily customize this recipe with your favorite breakfast cereal. Marshmallows and cookie butter pair well with Kix, Cherrios, and Chex.
Cookie Butter Rice Cereal Treats
What’s not to love about a rice krispies treat?
It’s a quick and easy treat to whip up without much prep involved!
Best of all, it’s great to make with kids!
This version is super special. It’s the rice krispies you know and love…but with the additional of sweet cookie butter spread and little chunks of Biscoff cookies.
What is Biscoff?
Where to get Biscoff?
Biscoff is easy to find nationwide. You’re guaranteed to find it at Target, Walmart, and World Market.
Lotus Biscoff is the most popular, widely available brand. Most supermarkets will carry this brand.
Find Biscoff in the cookie aisle of the supermarket. It is located alongside graham crackers, Oreos, and vanilla wafers.
What’s Biscoff Spread or Cookie Butter?
Biscoff is the crunchy cookie. Biscoff spread (also known as cookie butter) is basically Biscoff cookie in paste form.
This “cookie butter” is made by crushing and processing speculoos/speculaas cookies until it forms a smooth, creamy spread.
Biscoff spread is stocked in the same aisle as peanut butter, nut butters, and Nutella.
Lotus brand is the most widely available. However, you are sure to find other versions. They may be labeled as speculoos cookie butter, speculoos biscuit spread, or simply “cookie butter.”
Trader Joe’s has made the product quite popular after introducing their Speculoos Cookie Butter several years ago. It gained the most traction when they sold speculoos cookie butter cheesecake bites!
Cereal Marshmallow Treats Ingredients
Only a handful of ingredients are needed to make quick and easy treats:
- Butter (salted or unsalted both work!)
- Biscoff cookies
- Biscoff spread
The recipe calls for crispy rice cereal, but you may sub in your cereal of choice! More on that below.
Store-bought mini marshmallows work best. This isn’t the time to use homemade marshmallows.
Rice krispie treats benefit from the stabilizers in store-bought marshmallows.
I recommend using the mini marshmallow variety simply because it melts faster and more evenly compared to the the larger marshmallow sizes.
Use “fresh” marshmallows. Meaning, one that isn’t nearing it’s best by date or expiration date. Soft, moist marshmallows will melt creamier than stale, dried up ones.
Cereal marshmallow treats are traditionally made with crispy rice cereal, specifically Rice Krispies.
However, you get creative and use whatever crunchy cereal you have!
Make these treats extra sweet by using Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Frosted Flakes.
Or, choose Kix or Cherrios to let the flavors of the cookie butter (Biscoff) shine.
No Bake Bars
This is truly a no-bake dessert that anyone can make! While you don’t need an oven, a stove top is highly recommended.
It’s best to melt the butter and marshmallow stove top.
The constant stirring over a stove top ensure even melting. You will be able to prevent the butter or marshmallows from burning or scorching.
However, you may opt to heat them in the microwave, as well. This method is a little bit trickier because you cannot stir the ingredients as often.
Prep and Assembly Tips:
- Use an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan to make thick rice krispie bars.
- Alternatively, use a large baking pan (such as 9×13-inch) to make thinner bars.
- Line your choice of pan with parchment paper. Allow excess paper to hang over the sides of the pan. This greatly helps unmolding the sticky treats from the pan.
- WORK QUICKLY! You small window of time to quickly fold the cereal and chopped cookies into the melted marshmallow-butter-cookie spread mixture. As the mixture cools, it will harden, making it much more difficult to coat the cereal with marshmallow.
- Stack and press the same size baking pan over the cereal mixture to create an even, compact rice krispie treat.
Waiting for the cereal bars to set up is the most difficult part!
Once the marshmallow mixture has cooled, lift up the cereal mixture using the parchment paper overhang.
Slice the cereal mixture into your desired portions. I cut a 9-inch square pan into 16 squares.
Want to make these Biscoff rice krispies treats even better? Add a drizzle of melted cookie butter on top!
Place about a quarter cup (1/4 cup) Biscoff spread in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 10-15 second intervals, stirring each time, until mixture easily drips off the spoon.
Storage and Leftovers
The cookie butter drizzle will not harden. You will not be able to stack the frosted Biscoff rice crispy treats.
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Over time, it will harden and be more difficult to chew. At this point, it’s better to simply make another batch than risk breaking a tooth!
Biscoff Rice Krispies Treats
- 6 Tablespoons butter* (85 g)
- 1 – 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
- ¾ cup + 2 Tablespoons Biscoff spread (210 g), also known as cookie butter spread
- 5 cups crispy rice cereal (150 g) such as Rice Krispies
- 10 pieces Biscoff cookies (80 g), roughly chopped
- ¼ cup Biscoff spread (60 g)
- Line 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan* with parchment paper. Allow excess paper to hang over the sides. The overhang will help with unmolding. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add marshmallows. Stir until marshmallows have melted. Reduce to low heat. Add Biscoff spread and stir until melted and thoroughly combined.
- Remove from heat and immediately add in rice cereal and chopped Biscoff cookies. Fold to combine until cereal and cookies are completed coated in the marshmallow mixture.
- Transfer cereal mixture to prepared baking pan. Press the cereal mixture into an even layer. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Use parchment paper overhang to lift and unmold rice krispies treats from the pan. Place on a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to slice into desired serving sizes.
- Optional Topping: Place Biscoff spread in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 10-15 second intervals, stirring each time, until mixture easily drips off the spoon. Drizzle liquid over the cut rice krispies treats.
- This recipe works with either salted or unsalted butter. When using unsalted butter, I like to add a pinch of salt to the melted butter.
- For more complex flavor, brown the butter before adding the marshmallows!
- Mini marshmallows melt faster and more evenly than the larger marshmallow sizes.
- The optional cookie butter drizzle will not harden or set. Keep this in mind if you plan to stack the treats.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Overtime, it will stale and harden.