Pomegranate margarita is the perfect holiday cocktail. With hues of red, green, and a little gold sparkle, it is sure to be a party favorite!
This Southern California girl love tequila!
Give me paloma, tequila sunrise, or a bloody maria any day of the week.
But, my favorite tequila cocktail will always be a good ol’ fresh lime margarita.
Browse my tequila section to see my ever growing list of margarita variations.
Here’s another marg to add to the list.
This pomegranate margarita first made its appearance at my family’s annual holiday party. Set with the task to create a festive Christmas-y cocktail… this vibrant red drink was born.
Stick to the original recipe to make one serving or easily multiply the recipe to make a large batch or punch bowl version.
When making a large amount, be sure to provide guests with additional pomegranate juice or club soda so they can adjust the strength of their drinks.
Because it’s the holidays and I love sparkle, I mixed in some gold sugar along the traditional salt rim. It makes it look fancy and so much prettier! Who can resist a little glitter?
Moisten the rim of serving glass with a wedge of lime. Invert glass in a plateful of coarse salt and gold sanding sugar.
Add 2 oz of tequila. I would go with a basic silver or white tequila.
Add 3 oz of sparkling pomegranate juice and 1 oz of 100% pomegranate juice.
Top with ice and garnish with slices of lime and some pomegranate arils. CHEERS!
- 2 oz tequila, white (blanco) or silver
- 1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3 oz sparkling pomegranate juice*
- 1 oz pomegranate juice (100% juice, preferably unsweetened or no sugar added)
- sliced lime, to garnish
- pomegranate arils, to garnish
- coarse salt and gold sugar, to rim glasses
- Combine coarse salt and gold sugar in a small flat plate. Moisten the rim of serving glass with a wedge of lime. Invert serving glass in salt-sugar mixture.
- Add tequila, lime juice, sparkling pomegranate juice, and pomegranate juice. Top with ice. Stir to combine. Garnish with sliced lime and pomegranate arils.
- Izze Sparkling Pomegranate Juice is the most readily available at major supermarkets.
- You can also make your own sparkling pomegranate juice by combining equal parts unsweetened pomegranate juice and sparkling water (soda water, club soda, carbonated water). Sweetened to your liking with simple syrup.
- To make simple syrup: bring to a boil equal parts water and granulated sugar until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and cool. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for several weeks.
Reader Questions and Reviews
This looks wonderful, Maryanne! Pinned!
That gold sugar is so festive! What great colors with the red & green. Pinned & suggesting to my family to make. Teeheee!