This vodka spiced punch features a tasty combination of grapefruit juice and warm spices including cinnamon and cloves.
This post was made in partnership with Wheatley Vodka. As always, all opinions stated here are entirely my own. Thank you for supporting our brand partners!
The end of the year brings many celebrations and gatherings of all sorts. From cookie exchanges to cocktail parties and potlucks and formal sit down dinners, there is a ton of food and drink to be shared and enjoyed during this joyous season.
When it comes to holiday entertaining, I’m all about brunch!
Brunches are much more fun to plan because the menu options are endless. Both sweet and savory dishes are welcome. And obviously my favorite reason for brunch are fun cocktails!
Wheatley Vodka Spiced Punch
It can be difficult to play both host and bartender. Large batch cocktails is the best way to ease bartending duties. To be the perfect attentive host, serve up a punch that you can make and prepare ahead of time.
Today I’m sharing ideas and inspirations for a DIY brunch waffle bar paired with this bright and tasty vodka spiced punch. This holiday vodka punch features a new favorite- Wheatley Vodka.
The spiced punch combines Wheatley Vodka with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, a touch of ginger liqueur, a hint of lime juice, and a simple syrup infused with spices like ginger and cinnamon. The resulting cocktail is a pleasant mixture of bright flavors mellowed with warm notes. Perfect for the holidays!
When it comes to liquors, bourbons and whiskeys are my go-to spirit. As a fan of Buffalo Trace Distillery, I was super excited to find that they also produced vodka. And even more intrigued to learn that this vodka is made with the same wheat used for Pappy Van Winkle bourbons!
Wheatley Vodka isn’t your standard, run of the mill vodka. This vodka is made in small batches and craft distilled in a special one of a kind micro still.
What started as a passion project by Master Distiller Harlen Wheatley evolved into this well crafted and balanced vodka. As Harlen says, “This is how vodka is supposed to taste.”
I agree! To me, Wheatley Vodka tastes clean and crisp. It is a truly versatile spirit that works wonderfully in a variety of mixed drinks.
Once you’ve got your vodka spiced punch made, it’s time to prep for food!
DIY Waffle Bar
A do-it-yourself waffle bar allows guests to build their own brunch creation suited to their taste preferences. Start by cooking a ton of your favorite waffles- be it buttermilk, Belgian, from scratch, or using a mix.
Next, lay out an assortment of toppings. I like to serve a variety of sweet and savory options.
The usual sweet topping ideas include: sliced bananas, fresh berries, dried fruits, and toasted nuts.
For fun sweet treats, serve up colorful sprinkles, an assortment of chocolate chips (white, milk, and semi-sweet), and chopped up cookies. Think of everything you’d want to include in an ice cream sundae, and it would also work with waffles!
For savory toppings, you can serve the traditional brunch staples like bacon, sausage, and eggs. Add some a few cheese options such as shredded cheddar or crumbled feta.
List off your favorite pizza toppings; those would make fabulous waffle toppings as well.
Asides from the standard maple syrup, serve the waffles with an assortment of nut butters, chocolate syrup, caramel sauce, or whipped cream. For savory ideas, nacho cheese sauce or chili would provide a ton of excitement!
The vodka spiced punch is a perfect balance of sweet and tart. As such, it pairs well with both sweet and savory foods.
Wheatley Vodka Spiced Punch
- 1 bottle (750 ml) Wheatley Vodka
- 4 1/4 cup (34 oz) fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 cup (6 oz) spiced simple syrup* (recipe follows)
- 1 cup (8 oz) ginger liqueur
- 10 dashes bitters optional
Spiced Simply Syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks (roughly 4-inches long)
- 1 inch ginger peeled and sliced into disks
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 small star anise
- In a large pitcher or punch bowl, combine Wheatley Vodka, grapefruit juice, lime juice, spiced simple syrup, ginger liqueur, and bitters. Stir to combine. Cover and keep chilled in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Fill serving glasses with ice. Ladle or pour punch into serving glass. Garnish with lime wedge and cinnamon stick.
Spiced Simple Syrup:
- In a medium pot, combine water, sugar, cinnamon sticks, ginger, whole cloves, and star anise. Bring mixture to a boil until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Cover pot with lid and let steep for 30 minutes. Strain out spices. Transfer simple syrup to an airtight container and store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Add additional spiced simple syrup according to your taste preferences.
- If desired, splash chilled sparkling water or club soda in individual serving glasses to reduce potency of cocktail