Add a holiday twist to the classic mint julep.
Although iced, this cranberry mint julep is sure to warm you up on those cold winter nights!
Thanksgiving in near!
Kitchens everywhere are filled with busy chefs and cooks preparing delicious meals.
Fridges and freezers are packed with all sorts of goodies.
I have always looked forward to Thanksgiving. Not necessarily for all the food, but for the company of friends and family.
For this year’s holiday season, I will be serving this cranberry cocktail inspired by a classic favorite- the mint julep.
Holiday Cranberry Cocktail
This recipe serves 1. Multiply as needed.
- 8-10 mint leaves
- 2 sugar cubes, more if you prefer it sweet
- crushed ice, as needed
- 2 1/2 oz bourbon of your choice
- 2 Tbsp cranberry syrup, recipe follows
1. Place mint leaves and sugar cubes in a glass.
2. Add 1 Tbsp of cranberry syrup. Use a muddler to crush everything together until sugar cubes have dissolved.
3. Fill glass with crushed ice. Add 2 1/2 oz of your favorite bourbon.
DO NOT use large ice cubes, you want CRUSHED ice. The drink is very strong and potent. It needs the crushed ice to dilute drink slightly.
Use a spoon to gently stir mixture together.
4. Add additional crushed ice. Add another 1 Tbsp of cranberry syrup. Garnish drink with mint leaves and fresh cranberries.
And voilà! You are ready to enjoy an icy, frosty cranberry mint julep! Cheers!
I wish you all a very happy holiday season filled with much love, laughter, and good food!
Cranberry Mint Julep
- 8 fresh mint leaves
- 2 sugar cubes (2 teaspoon granulated sugar) , or more if you prefer
- 1 oz (1 Tbsp) cranberry syrup, recipe follows
- crushed ice, as needed
- 2 ½ oz (5 Tbsp) bourbon of choice
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup fresh cranberries
- finely grated zest from half a lime
- Place mint leaves and sugar cubes in a glass.
- Add 1/2 oz (1 tbsp) cranberry syrup and muddle everything together until sugar cubes have dissolved.
- Fill glass with crushed ice. Add bourbon. (DO NOT use large ice cubes, you want CRUSHED ice. The drink is very strong and potent. It needs the crushed ice to dilute drink slightly.) Use a spoon to gently stir mixture together.
- Add additional crushed ice. Add remaining 1/2 oz (1 tbsp) of cranberry syrup. Garnish drink with mint leaves and fresh cranberries.
- In a small sauce pot, bring water and sugar to a boil. Add cranberries and lime zest. Over medium-high heat, cook mixture for 3-5 minutes until cranberries begin bursting open. Once all the cranberries have burst, remove from heat. (Do not overcook, you don’t want the cranberries to turn to mush.)
- Let mixture cool to room temperature. Transfer to a container with a lid, let chill in the fridge until mixture is cold.
- Remove mixture from fridge and strain. At this point the syrup should have thicken. Strain out and discard cranberries (or save to snack on!). Return cranberry syrup to fridge until ready to use.
- 1 sugar cube is roughly equal to 1 teaspoon granulated sugar