I have been on a healthy breakfast stint. When I wake up in the morning, instead of craving the usual pastries and donuts, I actually want something nutritious and substantial.
After week of oatmeal in every which way I could think of, the boyfriend suggested we try quinoa. I had bought a giant bag of quinoa from Costco a couple weeks earlier. It had been sitting in the cupboard waiting for inspiration to strike me.
Of course! Quinoa for breakfast! A terrific choice!
Quinoa has been called everything from “superfood” to “mother of all grains.” It’s actually a seed, but often associated with rice and grains because of the way it is cooked. Quinoa is rich in nutrients and a good source of protein and dietary fiber. And just like rolled oats (oatmeal), it is gluten-free.
I make a double batch of this strawberries and cream breakfast quinoa at the beginning of the week and store in the fridge for a quick and hearty breakfast. The boyfriend and I love it. It is great served warmed or chilled. I can’t wait for spring and summer so I can try out all sorts of different fruit combinations in this breakfast quinoa!
Strawberries and Cream Breakfast Quinoa
Yield: serves 4
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 sliced strawberries
- 3 Tbsp light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- sweetened with agave syrup or honey, as desired
- Rinse and cook quinoa according to package instructions. Fluff with fork and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pot, combine strawberries, brown sugar, and salt. Cook over medium heat until sugar starts to dissolve. Add cooked quinoa and fold to combine.
- Add heavy cream and milk. Stir together and cook until liquid is warm. Remove from heat and distribute to serving bowls. Serve with sweetener of choice.
- If desired, add more milk for creamier texture.
The Little Epicurean