This fresh lime margarita uses all-natural ingredients. None of that bottled sour mix or margarita mix nonsense. All you really need are: good tequila, fresh lime juice, and simple syrup.
One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, FLOOR!
During my senior year of collage, Margarita Mondays was a real thing. (Nowadays, not so much.)
I guess having just turned 21 meant Margarita Monday, Taco Tuesday, Winesday Wednesday, and Thirsty Thursday was appropriate and totally justifiable.
Fresh Lime Margarita
You really only need three ingredients to make a spectacular tasting margarita. Those items being: good tequila, fresh lime juice, and simple syrup.
None of that sour mix or margarita mix nonsense.
To make a little fancier, I like to add a lime zest-coarse salt rim and a splash of Grand Mariner (orange-cognac liqueur).
While rimming the glass in regular old salt is perfectly fine, go the extra distance by adding some lime zest. It not only looks pretty; it adds a nice little zing and pop of flavor.
Fresh lime juice does wonders. Fresh squeezed lime juice is the only way to make a margarita. A citrus squeezer makes juicing limes and lemons super easy.
- Microplane Zester: This is a kitchen staple! Use it to zest citrus or grate parmesan cheese. It’s also great for grating nutmeg and other spices.
- Citrus Squeezer: Buy the lemon sized squeezer and use it for both lemons and limes.
- Mini Shotglass Measuring Glass: The key to excellent well balanced cocktails is proper measurements. Don’t eye ball it. Take the time to measure out the liquid ingredients.
- 1. Have all your ingredients prepped and ready before you start cocktail making.
- 2. Moisten the rim of your serving glass with a lime wedge.
- 3. Turn the glass upside down into the lime zest-salt mixture. Twist the glass around to throughly salt the rim.
- 4. Pour 1 1/2 oz of tequila, followed by 1 oz fresh lime juice to the serving glass. And 1/2 oz Grand Mariner, or any similar orange liqueur like Cointreu and Triple Sec. Test it out to determine which your taste buds prefer, or simply omit it.
- 5. Depending on how sweet you like your drinks, add simple syrup. I added about 1 1/2 Tbsp of simple syrup. I don’t like to add too much sweetener because I figure the drink will somewhat dilute with the amount of ice I like in my drink.
- 6. Drop a couple ice cubes and lime wedge. If you’re feeling fancy, sprinkle a little lime zest over the drink.
Cheers, you’ve just made a delicious and refreshing fresh lime margarita!
This fresh lime margarita can be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, or more to accommodate larger parties.
For more margarita variations try:
Fresh Lime Margarita
- 1 ½ oz tequila
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- ½ oz orange liqueur
- 1 ½ Tablespoon simple syrup, or more to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon coarse salt, or kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- finely grated zest from 1 lime
- Moisten the rim of serving glass with a lime wedge. Invert glass on lime zest-salt mixture. Twist glass to ensure it is thoroughly coated.
- Turn glass right side-up. Pour in tequila, followed by fresh lime juice. Add orange liqueur and simple syrup. Stir to combine. Add ice. Garnish with lime wedge. If desired, sprinkle a little lime zest on top of drink.
- Place water and sugar in a small sauce pot. Set over medium heat and cook until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Transfer to another container and store in the fridge to chill.
- On a flat surface combine salt, sugar, and lime zest. Mix together.
- I recommend using silver or blanco tequila. This clear tequila is bottled immediately after being distilled.
- Resposado tequila is also a great choice. This tequila is aged anywhere from 2 to 12 months. The golden color comes from the oak barrels it is aged in.
- There are many orange liqueurs to choose from. I recommend Contreau or Grand Marnier.
Reader Questions and Reviews
Mmmm….. This looks delicious and refreshing and perfect for this coming summer. Pinned!
Thanks Rochelle! I’m thinking of making mango or strawberry versions this summer!
Landed through tastespotting. I loved the picture a lot, crisp and so sexy. For me 1 tequila, 2 tequila, 3 tequila, 4 tequila, 5 tequila and then floor ;)
Tequila margrita is my most beloved drink, i never thought it is so simple that i could make at home. Will try now:)
Thanks so much! So happy you found me :) Cheers!
Made these just a few hours ago. They are wonderful and amazing. I only wish I had bought more limes…
This was great. I also added like 5-7 little dots of sriracha to it and with the sweetness and just barely noticeable heat it was crazy good.
Nice touch adding the sriracha! I’m sure it was tasty!
Restaurant quality!!! All I can say is, wow. Absolute perfection!
Thank you so much!