Traditional eggnog spiked with bourbon with a kick of espresso and all the warm flavors of chai. This Dirty Chai Eggnog will soon be a family favorite!
Eggnog is still banned from our family holiday parties. Last year I made milk punch (spiced milk with whiskey) in hopes of changing certain family members’ mind. Their extreme disdain for eggs is to blame for our eggnog-less parties. I’m not one to take no for an answer, so I’m trying again this year.
When Maker’s Mark approached me regarding an eggnog challenge, it further fueled my need to create an eggnog that would convert non-believers.
Personally, I love eggnog. It tastes like ice cream with big hit of booze. It’s exactly what I want during the chilly nights leading up to Christmas and New Year’s Eve. Traditionally it can be made with rum, brandy, or bourbon. But, being a bourbon lady, I always choose the latter.
Dirty Chai Eggnog
Bourbon complements so many flavors, especially warm spices that I associate with winter and the holidays. Instead of the usual nutmeg dusted eggnog, I wanted to make something with a little more kick, a little more spice.
I learned about dirty chai lattes in college. I was already addicted to the sweet and flavorful chai lattes. And when I learned that you could add a shot of espresso, it blew my mind. Dirty chai lattes instantly became my go-to caffeinated beverage (because when you’re a young college student, calories don’t count).
Now that I’m older and a bit wiser, it’s time to amp up my favorite dirty chai with eggnog.
I believe everyday should include a little sparkle. Obviously during special occasions, like the holidays, you need ever more simmer. I like to serve this dirty chai eggnog with gold sanding sugar rimmed glasses. It adds a nice festive touch and a pop of sweetness to this super boozy beverage.
This dirty chai eggnog can be served warm or chilled. I like to add a dollop of sweetened whipped cream on top, and then garnish with freshly grated nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, and coffee beans.
This eggnog has it all: a ton of flavor and spice, just the right amount of booze, and a nice burst of caffeine to keep you in the festive party spirit!
Here’s to hoping that my family gives this dirty chai eggnog a thumb’s up! Cheers!
Dirty Chai Eggnog
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 chai tea bags
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar , packed
- 6 large pasteurized eggs* , separated
- ½ cup strong espresso , slightly cooled
- 1 cup bourbon whiskey
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream , chilled
- 2 Tablespoon powdered sugar
- gold sanding sugar
- grated nutmeg
- cinnamon sticks
- coffee beans
- In a heavy bottomed medium sauce pot, bring milk and cream to a simmer. Add chai tea bags, cover pot, and allow to steep for 30 minutes. Strain and discard tea bags.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar and egg yolks. Whisk until mixture has thickened. Add chai infused milk mixture, espresso and bourbon. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites with a hand mixer. Once mixture is foamy, slowly add granulated sugar. Whip to medium-stiff peaks. Add egg whites to eggnog mixture. Whisk to combine.
- Use a hand mixer to whip chilled heavy cream. At soft peaks, slowly add powdered sugar and continue to whip to medium-stiff peaks. Use immediately, or keep covered and chilled in the fridge until ready to use.
- Moisten rim of serving glass with water. Invert glass into plate filled with gold sanding sugar. (optional)
- Pour eggnog into serving glass. Top with a dollop of whipped cream. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg, cinnamon stick, and coffee beans. Serve immediately.
HELP ME WIN!
I created this recipe post to enter Maker’s Mark #GetCozyCocktail challenge. Please visit Maker’s Mark Instagram page between December 11-17 to vote for my Dirty Chai Eggnog recipe! The eggnog recipe with the most likes and comments will win! I have no idea whether I stand a chance of winning… but hey, this girl is going to try!
Disclosure: I received products from Maker’s Mark to create this post. I was not compensated for this post. As always, all opinions and recipe are my own.
Reader Questions and Reviews
Totally gorgeous Maryanne! LOVE that gold sanding sugar!
You’re right, eggnog does taste like ice cream! Nutmeggy, delicious melted ice cream. Love this variation, the chai flavors sound like they would work perfectly! :) The gold sanding sugar rims are SO cool, too!!
Ok Like your brother I am not a fan of eggs and that’s putting it mildly. I seem to be ok with them in cakes and desserts in general but for some reason put them in something savory or in a drink and you will see me running off in panic! This dirty chai eggnog of yours however may have me changing my mind. Looks gorgeous! Glad to have found your blog! :)
Oh my, now this is a wonderful comfort drink.
The presentation looks really pretty!
This would make the holidays very merry, I LOVE this recipe!
You are KILLING it with garnishes. This is one beautiful cup of eggnog!
Beautiful! I’m loving the looks of this drink. I’m already a fan of eggnog so this all just sounds amazing!
This is so beautiful and festive! :)
Oh My I am in love! We are BIG eggnog fans here. I love the addition of the Chai flavors!
Now this is an eggnog I can really get behind! ;)