Shortbread cookie bottom topped with a buttery, melt in your mouth cake filling, these grapefruit strawberry gooey butter bars will become a party favorite!
I thought I’ve seen them all when it comes to cakes and dessert bars. And then I was introduced to these gooey butter bars and my eyes have been opened to this whole new world of treats.
While a popular staple in St. Louis, I’m a gooey butter bar newbie.
I have a crazy bout of jet lag. I returned from Japan over the weekend and I’m still trying to adjust to the time change.
Luckily, these gooey butter bars are helping me stay awake during the day. They’re excellent with an iced coffee for the ultimate afternoon pick-me-up.
Essentially, gooey butter bars are comprised of two layers: a shortbread crust topped with soft cake filling. Combined together, these two layers create a unique, decadent, melt in your mouth treat.
To lighten up this intense dessert, I’ve topped the cake with a combination of grapefruit segments and sliced strawberries. The fruits are marinated in a syrup of honey and grated ginger. It’s a perfect balance of sweetness and zing.
(Plus, I love all things ginger so any excuse to use it is reason enough for me!)
You’ll have to drain the fruits before topping the cake, but be sure to keep that liquid. You can add a small drizzle to the cake before serving, or use it to sweetened iced teas!
I’m sharing the recipe for these gooey butter bars over at BHG’s Delish Dish. Head on over and say hello!
Grapefruit Strawberry Gooey Butter Bars
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- 1 ½ cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 ½ cup grapefruit segments
- 2 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 13x9-inch baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Crust: Whisk together flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender (or two forks), cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbly sand. Transfer into prepared pan and press into an even layer. Set aside.
- Filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or using an electric hand mixer), beat butter and sugar until smooth. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Add corn syrup, egg, and vanilla extract. Continue to mix until well combined.
- Add flour in three additions, alternating with milk. Mix until just combined. Transfer batter into prepared pan over crust.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes until the center of the cake no longer jiggles. Cool to room temperature in pan. Cake will harden as it cools. Remove from pan and slice into bars.
- Topping: In a small bowl, toss together strawberries, grapefruit, honey, and ginger. Garnish tops of cooled butter bars with fruit.