Espresso granita served with vanilla ice cream and chocolate shavings. It has the flavor profiles of an affogato and a caffe con panna.
You’ve already enjoyed your morning coffee.
Perhaps you’re already on your third cup of coffee day.
But, you’re still craving more!
No need to pour another cup. I present you a far better, far tastier solution.
Espresso granita with a double scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Frozen Espresso Dessert
Summer heat is on! That means it’s time for frozen treats, no bake desserts, and plenty of ice cold beverages.
Last week I shared this refreshing strawberry basil granita.
It was so good that I had to make a second granita right away.
Just like popsicles, you can pretty much freeze anything into a tasty granita.
If given the choice between a cup of coffee or an espresso granita… hands down espresso granita! Especially if ice cream is involved.
Coffee and cream is so passé. Espresso and ice cream is a winner.
Have you ever had an affogato?
It’s a scoop of vanilla ice cream (or gelato) with a shot of espresso poured over. DELICIOUS!
The espresso granita with ice cream is pretty much the same concept, except instead of hot espresso you get frozen espresso.
With this version of a frozen affogato, you can eat slower and truly savor this flavors of this perfect pick-me-up dessert.
While I used vanilla ice cream, if you’re a true coffee-holic, I suggest making this dessert with coffee ice cream.
Related delicious summer frozen treats to enjoy:
- Strawberry cheesecake ice cream
- Mais con yelo
- Almond mocha ice cream bars
- Passion fruit rosé popsicles
Espresso Granita with Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 ¾ cup (12 oz) strong espresso, warm
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- vanilla or coffee ice cream, store-bought or homemade
- shaved dark chocolate, to garnish
- Stir together espresso and sugar until sugar has dissolved. Pour mixture into a freezer safe baking pan/dish. Freeze for 30 minutes. Remove from freezer and use a fork to stir up the icy liquid. Return to freezer and continue to remove every 30 minutes to scrape contents. It should take about 90 minutes to 2 hours until the mixture has turned into ice crystals.
- Scoop ice cream into serving dish and top with espresso granita. Garnish with chocolate shavings, if desired.