A refreshing summertime margarita! This cucumber margarita recipe features cucumber agua fresca (agua fresca de pepino) and fresh lime juice.
Chill out all summer long with this rejuvenating cucumber margarita! I call the boozy version of spa water.
The perfect margarita is fresh, crisp, with just the right balance of sweet and sour notes.
Refreshing Cucumber Margarita
Fresh squeezed lime juice to the key to a delicious classic margarita.
The combination of sweet, sour, and salt is a such a mouthwatering and inviting flavor profile.
And if you really want depth of flavor, try making margarita with mezcal.
Mezcal is similar to tequila. They are both made from agave. However, mezcal has a distinct smokey flavor.
Mezcal is traditionally enjoyed straight, on its own. Over the years, it has gained popularity in craft cocktails.
Let’s Build this Cocktail
- Rim serving glass with salt. Pour in tequila.
- Add in cucumber agua fresca, orange liqueur, lime juice, and optional simple syrup.
- Stir contents together.
- Fill glass with ice and serve!
How to make pitcher margarita
This summertime cocktail is perfect for large batches.
Prep the cucumber agua fresca up to two days before serving.
The day before serving, simply mix all the ingredients together in a large pitcher. Cover with plastic wrap or lid. Keep chilled in the fridge until ready to serve.
Give the margarita a good stir before serving.
- orange liqueur
- cucumber agua fresca
- fresh squeezed lime juice
- simple syrup, optional
This recipe works with your choice of tequila. Blanco (white or silver) tequila is great for mixing into cocktails because of it’s strong agave forward flavor. This tequila will give you the brightest green cocktail.
Gold, resposado (“rested”), and anejo (aged) tequila are darker in color ranging from light caramel to chocolate in appearance. These aged tequilas often have softer agave flavor and more wood notes.
I highly recommend 21 Seeds Cucumber Jalapeño blanco tequila. It’s infused with cooling cucumber and the perfect amount of heat and spice from jalapeños.
There are many varieties of orange flavored liqueur to choose from: Cointreau, Grand Marnier, or Triple Sec. I highly recommend Cointreau.
Cucumber Agua Fresca
Agua fresca de pepino translates to fresh cucumber water. It is a delicious beverage made from cucumbers, lime & lemon juice, water, and a touch of sweetener.
Simply process all the ingredients together in a blender. Then, strain.
Use fresh squeezed lime juice. I repeat- FRESH SQUEEZED lime juice.
Stay away from pre-bottled lime juice. It will never taste as a refreshing, tart, and flavorful as fresh squeezed lime.
Interested in more margarita or tequila based cocktails? Try these favorite recipes:
- Super popular honey thyme margarita combines fresh squeezed grapefruit and lime juices with thyme infused honey.
- Like heat and spice? This jalapeño margarita is made with jalapeño infused brown sugar simple syrup.
- Strawberry tequila sunrise adds a fresh spin on the classic cocktail. Strawberry puree replaces grenadine syrup.
- honey, to coat glass rim
- coarse sea salt
- 2 oz tequila of choice
- ½ oz Cointreau, or other orange liqueur such as Grand Marnier
- 2 oz cucumber agua fresca
- ½ oz lime juice
- ¼ simple syrup (optional, recipe follows)
- mint leaves
- cucumber slices
- lime wedges or wheels
- Blanco (white or silver) tequila will give you the bright, green cocktail color.
- Gold, resposado (rested) , and anejo (aged) tequila are darker in color. This will alter the final color of the cocktail.
- Simple syrup is optional. Cocktail will be less sweet if simple syrup is omitted.
- Agave syrup can be used in place of simple syrup.