Blackberry gin fizz is a summer berry twist on a classic cocktail. Personalize your gin fizz with your favorite soft fruits.
What is Gin Fizz?
Traditionally a gin fizz is compromised of gin, lemon juice, sugar, and carbonated water.
I’ve summer-ized this classic cocktail with the addition of blackberries. Honestly, this blackberry gin fizz tastes very much like a fancy lemonade.
Any kind of fruit you could mash and muddle would work fine in this cocktail. Think: cherry gin fizz, peach gin fizz, pineapple gin fizz. Oh man, I’m getting thirsty.
Blackberry Gin Fizz
I’ve mentioned before how much I love gin, especially a really good Gin and Tonic. It is a versatile liquor that in my opinion makes the most refreshing cocktails.
When I think of tequila, rum or vodka, I usually envision hangovers and headaches. But gin treats me differently.
The bright citrus notes, the sweet berries and the bubbly… together with the herbaceous gin makes a delicious summer beverage. I have a feeling gin will be making numerous Henappearances this summer.
Special Tools & Ingredients:
- Muddler: I recommend this OXO muddler. I’ve had mine for years. Best of all, it’s dishwasher safe!
- Sugar Cubes: Do not use regular old granulated sugar. That’s a big faux pas. Use sugar cubes or simple syrup.
- Lemon Juice: Take the extra effort to use fresh squeezed lemon juice. I like this standard lemon squeezer. (It also works for limes!)
- Gin: I recommend using Hendrick’s Gin for this recipe.
Place 4 or 5 blackberries in a glass with 3 sugar cubes. Muddle together until sugar cubes have dissolved.
Add 1/2 oz of fresh squeezed lemon juice. Stir together.
Add ice to glass. Follow with two shots (4 Tbsp or 2 oz) of gin of your choice.
Top off with 2 oz club soda.
Garnish with additional fresh blackberries. Serve as is and advise drinkers to stir cocktail to distribute blackberry puree at the bottom of the glass.
Blackberry Gin Fizz
- 5 fresh blackberries
- 3 sugar cubes
- 1/2 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 oz gin of choice
- 2 oz club soda
- additional blackberries for garnish
- Place 5 blackberries in a glass with 3 sugar cubes. Muddle together until sugar cubes have dissolved.
- Add 1/2 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice. Stir together.
- Add ice to glass. Follow with 2 oz gin of your choice.
- Top off with 2 oz club soda.
- Garnish with additional fresh blackberries. Serve as is and advise drinkers to stir cocktail to distribute blackberry puree at the bottom of the glass.