This boozy ice cream float features maple ice cream, whiskey, and root beer! It’s an updated adult version of a classic childhood favorite.
Let’s reminisce about our carefree childhood summers.
Mine were spent chasing around the ice cream truck, running through the sprinklers, and lounging around with a worry in the world.
Two things I enjoyed eating during summer vacation: s’mores and root beer floats!
Here’s an updated adult version. Whiskey root beer float with maple ice cream!
Adult Root Beer Float Cocktail
As a child, root beer floats took me to my happy place. Years later, root beer with ice cream still does the trick.
With cooler temps finally the norm in Los Angeles, I’ve been wearing cozy pajamas (read: ALL-DAY) and sitting next to our fireplace in the evenings.
With the house all warm and toasty, chilly boozy beverages are very much welcome while we TV binge at night.
Key Ingredients and Substitutions
There are three key ingredients to this adult float cocktail: ice cream, liqueur, and soda.
Ice Cream: This version uses homemade maple ice cream for a kick of flavor! However, any store-bought ice cream works. Ideal flavors: vanilla ice cream, butter pecan ice cream, or caramel ice cream.
Liqueur: Maple ice cream and vanilla ice cream pair well with whiskey or bourbon. Or, sub in dark rum or spiced rum. Vanilla vodka is another delicious alternative.
Soda: Use the best quality root beer you can find! I recommend IBC, Dad’s, or Stewarts. Alternatively, use cream soda for a much sweeter float.
Let’s Build Root Beer Float Cocktails
Just like regular root beer float, this is just as easy to assemble.
- For extra decadence, I add a drizzle of caramel or maple syrup at the bottom of the serving glass. This is optional.
- Add two scoops of homemade maple ice cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Follow with 2 oz of whiskey or bourbon of choice.
- Top with chilled root beer.
- Eat and enjoy!
That’s it. CHEERS! Drink up and enjoy. If you’re feeling fancy, you can go ahead and drizzle so more caramel on top of the root beer foam.
Other Variations on the Alcoholic Float
Classic float pairs together ice cream and soda. Here are some more adult versions to try:
- Orange Creamsicle = vanilla ice cream + vanilla vodka + orange soda
- Affogato = vanilla ice cream + kahlua + espresso
- Cream Soda Float = chocolate ice cream + dark rum + cream soda
Boozy Maple Ice Cream Root Beer Float
- 2 scoops maple hazelnut ice cream * or vanilla ice cream
- 2 oz whiskey or bourbon of choice
- chilled root beer, to top
- store-bought caramel sauce, optional
- Drizzle optional caramel sauce in serving glass. Add ice cream, follow with whiskey, and top glass with chilled root beer. Serve immediately.