Make a chocolate chip ice cream sundae for loved ones this Valentine’s Day! It features homemade ice cream topped with Ghirardelli chocolate.
This post was created in partnership with Ghirardelli. As always, all opinions stated here are entirely my own.
There are two things I love as an adult just as much as I did as a child: chocolate and ice cream.
Growing up, I loved getting ice cream sundaes at the Ghirardelli Ice Cream and Chocolate Shop in Pasadena. (Unfortunately, this location is no longer in operation.)
I remember being able to smell the melting chocolate a block away from the shop.
As soon as the scent hit my nose, I’d immediately start walking faster and faster until I made it to the shop’s entrance.
Homemade Ghirardelli Sundae
Nothing beats an ice cream sundae topped with melted Ghirardelli chocolate.
Their chocolate is thick, luscious, and the perfect accompaniment to sweet ice cream.
Just the mere thought of this chocolate chip ice cream with melted chocolate brings a smile to my face- very similar to the way Homer Simpson reacts to donuts…hmmm.
Over the years, I’ve grown to prefer dark chocolate more and more. My first foray into the darker chocolates began with Ghirardelli’s 60% percent bittersweet chocolate.
Can’t decide between milk or dark chocolate?
No need to choose a side! Ghirardelli Valentine’s Impressions Chocolates allows has a little of both.
A dark chocolate heart surrounded by milk chocolate. It’s a win-win!
Plus, they’re super cute with their little lovely dovey messages.
It’s like conversation hearts but better… obviously because it’s chocolate!
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
I’m a purist when it comes to ice cream sundaes.
I like vanilla ice cream with chocolate fudge. However, many people would call that plain and boring (for reasons I cannot understand!).
For Valentine’s Day (the one day a year it is totally acceptable to eat your weight in chocolate), I spiked my traditional vanilla ice cream with chunks of bittersweet chocolate.
When you top this chocolate chip ice cream with melted bittersweet chocolate and garnish it with a cute chocolate bar, you have chocolate heaven. It’s the perfect dessert to share with your loved ones.
Plus, since this recipe makes a large batch so you’ll have enough ice cream to last you through the weekend!
Ready for another scoop of ice cream? Try these favorite recipes:
- Strawberry cheesecake ice cream
- Cookie Monster ice cream
- No churn ube ice cream
- Chocolate chunk ricotta ice cream
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 cup Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Baking Chips, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cups Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Baking Chips, melted
- Ghirardelli Valentine’s Day Impressions, as needed
- In a medium pot, bring cream, milk, and 2 tablespoons sugar to a boil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and remaining sugar. Once milk has come to a boil, lower heat. Temper hot milk into sugar yolk mixture. Slowly add hot milk into yolks about ¼ cup at a time, whisking to distribute heat. Once all milk has been added, transfer all contents back into the pot.
- Stir over medium-low heat until mixture reaches nappe consistency, or 180℉ on a kitchen thermometer. Let mixture sit at 180-185℉ for 3 minutes to pasteurize. Remove from heat and add vanilla paste. Stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to an airtight container and let mature in the fridge overnight. Freeze mixture in ice cream maker according to your unit’s instructions. Once the volume has increased by half and has reached a soft serve consistency, add in chopped chocolate. Let run for another 3-5 minutes to distribute chocolate. Transfer mixture to an airtight container and let rest in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before serving.